Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Why I'm Satisfied: Part 3

Some short time ago I decided that one of my favorite sayings was “It’s a metaphor.” I like to add it to the end of statements. It works great for deep thoughts, poetic thoughts, or nonsensical thoughts. I wanted to trace the origins of this saying and I tracked it down.

Back in November I was driving to work with my friend, Brittney. We were listening to NPR and they starting discussing the following story:
The correspondent decided it was appropriate to say that the Google Barge is a metaphor for… something. We didn’t quite catch what he said. But we were obsessed with how funny it was. And thus the “It’s a metaphor” saying was born. Here is evidence of how I use it in everyday conversation. Or at least when I’m chatting at work.

11/15/13
Brittney
That is true
I can't believe it is already the 15th
the passage of time is so disturbing to me
Nicole
I can't believ eit either
But I am rather grateful for it
Brittney
I guess I am too
I feel like I've been living in a haze for two weeks
Nicole
I mean, imagine if it were still August or something
I would hate that
Wandering through the mist
It's a metaphor

3/10/14
Nicole
Perhaps
I'd be really down to go to New York
Do you ever just feel really uncomfortable in your skin and antsy?
Because that's how I feel today
Lauren
your skin, like metaphorically?
like you want to be someone else?
Nicole
Yeah, it's a metaphor
No, I don't want to be somebody else
I just want to be myself
But not
Like, you just get sick of yourself
I can't even describe it
Like you're just tired of being with yourself all the time
Lauren
oh i totally get that
we've talked about it before

5/3/13
Nicole
Raffle time, baby!
I hope I win
Lauren
booyah!
i hope IIIIII win
Nicole
Don't know what the prize is, but I know that I want it
I hope that one of us wins
Lauren
haha
maybe it will be a tie
Nicole
They will accidentally pull out both of our tickets
Because they will be stuck together
It's a metaphor

5/8/13
Nicole
There he is
Talking about the project
Brittney
Shark out of water.
Feet fully wet
It's a metaphor.
Nicole
My line
Brittney
Empty words.

6/3/13
Nicole
Can I share with you a gem from my funny things notebook?
Me: I was wondering why it looked extra dark outside. But it wasn't. It was actually extra dark inside.
Emily: It's a metaphor.

No comments:

Post a Comment