Sunday, November 10, 2013

This is Where it Starts

So here it is. (I don't know what it is about starting sentences with the word "so" but it makes it feel like I've been thinking about it for a long time.)

I said over a year ago that I was going to revamp my blog...but I never did. Instead, I did one better and created a whole new blog! Okay, it took over a year to do it but whatever. I never said I would revamp it in a timely manner.

After a discussion with a very trustworthy friend (holla at your girl!) I've decided that I need to start writing more frequently. At some point in my life, I would love to have a novella written just for my family and friends to read and appreciate. But there's no way that's going to happen unless I can get back in to writing mode first. Commitment! I'm going to post at least once a day for the rest of the month. It's not much but it's a start.

I hope that this blog can be a combination of personal and stand-offish, funny and serious, spiritual and (dare I say) slightly sacrilege. Because I feel like that's kind of who I am. Which brings me to the blog title.

It comes from a quote I read from Emily Dickinson a few months ago. I was instantly obsessed with it. In a letter to a friend she wrote the line, "...I am out with lanterns, looking for myself." I think that everyone is constantly trying to figure out who they are or who they're going to be. But this line just described it so well. A lot of time we're out there actively looking, and all we have to go off of is the dim light of a lantern that we're holding. Oooooh, chills!

At some point I'm sure I'll find a piece of myself but there's always more to find. This is a special glimpse into some brain thoughts along the way. Get excited. This could get pretty weird sometimes, but hopefully it will be a good time!

No comments:

Post a Comment